Monday, March 22, 2010

New Legon, Ghana

Sam's email this week:


"Dear Family,
Thankyou so much for all the emails. Its always nice to hear from you guys. I am very glad to hear that Dad is doing well. I fasted for him on sunday.

This week has been long. Last Monday i woke and i was in Buduburam and now i am waking up in a place called New Lagon.

It is a lot different than Buduburam. Its richer than Buduburam but not amazing. When i come out of my apartment i feel like i am in the poor part of LA. My area is about a 1 to 2 hour walk to church. So its not easy geting people to come. The work here is a lot harder too, because the people have a little more money they push us away. I really never thought i would say i miss being in a liberian refugee camp, but i really really do. I miss buduburam so much. The people there were so awesome. Im going to work as hard as i can though and maybe my companion and I can turn it around. Oh my companions name is Elder Ewudzie, he is a ghanaian from capecaost. Hes a pretty cool and relaxed guy, a little quiet though. Ive only known him a couple of days but, I think we will get along for the most prat though. I want to tell you about my area more, but to be honest it is really just a big blur to me. Its a huge area and i never really know where i am at. I think by the end of this week though i should have it down.

This whole week i was really worried that no one would come to church. I worked very hard to get anyone i could to come. I remember a women espesialy that we were teaching. the lesson was going great the spirit was there and i could tell she was feeling it. At the end of the lesson i asked her the question " E, will you come to church this sunday?" She immeditaly looked down, i started praying in my heart "pleese say yes, pleese say yes." The silence seemed like it went on forever, but finally she looked up and said "i will come." It warmed my heart so much, it made me relize though that it wasnt me that got her to say yes. It was the spirit. It oddly was a humbling experiecne for me. It wasnt me that got her to say she would come. The most wonderfull part of this though is that when sunday roled around she was at church waiting for it to start.

Thankyou so much for all you do for me. Everyone pleese keep a close eye on dad for me. I love you so much. I hope you all have a wonderfull week.

Love Sam

P.S.- jenny have fun in disneyland!"

No comments: