Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Stay in the Hospital and Malaria

Sam's email this week:
"Dear Family,
Thank you so much for the Emails i loved them so much. I am very sorry it has taken me until Wednesday to email. I had my first encounter with Malaria . I woke up in the middle of the night on Saturday feeling like crap . I toughed it out through the night and woke up and called Sister Smith (we are suppose to call her when we are sick). She told me i should probably start taking my Anti Malaria medication that the mission had given us. So i started taking the Medication and decided that i should still go to church. If it was a normal day i would have stayed home and rested, but it was Sunday. Because it was Sunday, i had to go to church to see if my investigators were going to come. Well i went to church and got a big punch in the face from Malaria. We ended up rushing back to the apartment and then rushing to the J and C Hospital in Accra (which is more like a half hospital).The trip was not easy at all. I ended up staying at the hospital until Tuesday night. I got a total of 10 shots, all in my butt, 5 for each check. It was not nice at all. The whole experience went from a way to high fever to throwing up everywhere to various other horrible things which i wish not to talk about at this time. I won't bore you with all the details, i will just tell you it was one of the most terrible experiences of my entire life.I will give you some advice, never ever never ever get Malaria! Ever!

I am a lot better now, i am very happy the experience is over. I have learned a couple of very important things. First always sleep in a mosquito net. Second always put on mosquito repellent. Third alway remember to take your doxy (which i aways do) And last do all you can to avoid the mosquitos. These are now my rules that i am going to try to live by. The other missionaries say the first time is the worst, but still i do not want to take any chances.

The week leading up to this experience happened to be great though. On Wednesday we had the wonderful opportunity of going into Accra and hearing Elder Holland speak to us. I was way awesome. The man is a true Apostle of god.

We also had a very nice Baptism on Saturday. Brother W got to baptize the rest of his family. It was way cool to help complete a family like that.

I don't have a lot of time on the computer right now, but we are going to try and take some time and come back either tonight or sometime tomorrow so i can finish emailing you. I love you all so much. If i don't get a chance i want you to have a great week.
Love Elder Beck"

No comments: