Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Aug 9

Sam's email from Aug 9:

"Dear Family,

Thanks for your Emails. It sounds like you guys had a ton of fun up in Seattle. I am glad that everyone learned how important it is to listen to your heart.

As for me my week was okay, except for the part about Elder Omale and Elder Keeng. The day before the case I got to go with the Hales(the office couple) to go and pick up some new things for our apartment. Elder Hale was telling me how the case is set up that they are being tried guilty until proven innocent. So they have to be able to prove they are innocent and a little more too because of the way the government in Ghana works. Elder Hale said he thinks they have enough evidence to prove their innocence (planners, journals, companions, and other missionaries.) That night i was talking with one of my investigators about the prisons in Ghana. And basically he told me some freaky information about them. From all that i heard I really thought there was no way they were going to be found guilty.

The next day we were out teaching a man named S. We got a call from the zone leader so i got up and walked away from where we were sitting so it wouldn't disturb the lesson. I was told that Elder Omale was sentenced to 10 years and Elder Keeng was sentenced to 7. I didn't know what to say. Our Zone Leaders told us all we can do it Pray for them. After i got off the phone i went and sat back down. I guess my face had turned very white because S started asking me if i was okay.I was saying yeah, yeah i am fine trying not to show my sadness. He said "you look very sick." I covered it up by telling him i wasn't feeling well that day. We finished the lesson and left, I told elder Madamombe about it and we both felt terrible. It wasn't exactly an easy day at all. The thing that is so hard about it is i know both those guys. They would never do something like that.

I guess the church is now trying to get the case appealed to a higher court. I hope so much that it works. I know you are worried about me, but you don't need too. My companion and I are being exactly obedient. We are always careful that we don't get ourselves into a situation that will get us into trouble. I feel very safe in cantonments. I know as long as we work as hard as we can we will be very safe. That is what we will do. So don't worry at all.

As for everything else i am doing good. I am really starting to get used to our Area. There is a young American couple in our ward that our super cool. They are here because they work at the American Embassy. So its very nice to be able to go and talk with them. On sunday they walked into church and said "would you like to come over for dinner?" My heart jumped as I said "YES!" We went and it was some of the most delicious food ever. It has been to long since i have had American food. It was a rush.

I am really eager to hear about Dads Test results. So please send them right when you get them. I will really try and get a chance to stop by the Cafe on Wednesday. I love you all so much. I hope everyone has a great week.

Love Elder Beck"

No comments: